Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Please bands! Keep posting on myspace!

As a music fan and promoter, I would like to encourage my friends in bands to continue to use and update their myspace even though its "dying" . Heres Why:
1. It remembers my favorite bands better than I do: I have seen hundreds of bands, but can only remember a few dozen off the top of my head. Thats a lot for me, a super fan, but not for the general public. Thanks to the shows page, I can put in my zipcode, select bands I'm friends with and find shows that you I may have missed amongst the random birthday parties, dj nights and food crawls on facebook.
2. There is no better way to have people listen to song samples: You guys are awesome. Many bands are not. The other day I spent 4 hours listening to 96 bands on myspace to see which ones I liked. If I had tried to look them up individually, it would have taken a month and I would have given up and not given them a chance. When I get to say, just a bands facebook or blog or twitter page, its way too much work to click on a video link and wait for it to load. And I work harder than the average music fan.
3. I can find you when you are on a random tour and I am on a random trip: Thanks to the zipcode function again, I was able to find favorite bands on tour and find a relatively obscure 2 day music festival in North Carolina, and a 2 day punk, hardcore and garage festival in areas I was planning to visit. To this day, it is still quite difficult to put in say, "live punk rock boston" or "live garage rock wisconsin" and find a show that you know right away you want to see. Facebook certainly doesn't do this. Last.fm may have some shows, but not all. Myspace keeps it all in one place. I can actually visit a town, put in shows near this zip code, pull down garage rock from the menu and discover new bands that I want to see. This is how we wound up seeing two touring minneapolis bands in Columbus Ohio last year, and I hope we can continue to discover new bands along the way..
So please bands! Continue to post and update your myspace!

No comments: