Sunday, September 5, 2010

Long lost Miami tourist attractions


I am from Miami Beach originally and one of my biggest regrets was missing out on riding the steeplechase ride at the lost amusement park, Pirates World.


I knew a lot of other oddball attractions such as the still existing Monkey Jungle and Coral Castle. I was able get down and visit the circa 1930s attraction Parrot Jungle before and "moved" and became the toned down "Jungle Island".

Today I learned something fascinating with the discovery of LOST CAVERNS. I have an affinity for caverns where I can ride in boats and have done so at places like the Lost Sea Adventure. Considering that Miami is at zero feet above sea level, the idea that a "lost cavern" existed is quite mindblowing. Apparently, it was essentially a sinkhole, and they had some "trained wild ducks" which flow around peoples heads like pigeons. You can see some photos here and here.

This led to a few other discoveries. As I mentioned earlier, there is/was the well known parrot jungle, but there was also the Rare Bird Farm. Completely forgotten during my lifetime, even though only a few years before I was born they had supplied the monkey that went into space. Info here and here. The latter is long document with pictures a few pages down.

No comments: